Sunday, August 23, 2009

Education Week

<Brian and I in a Folk Dancing class. I thought that Brian was joking when he said that he wanted to attend this class. We had so much fun!

This past week, Brian and I attended Education Week on the BYU campus. What and amazing, spiritual experience! I learned so much, or should I say I was reminded of so much. So often I forget important gospel principles and have to be reminded of the truth or of things that I should be doing. Some things that
Brad Wilcox said touched my heart. He quoted 2 Nephi 25:23 "...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." The scripture has a different meaning depending on what word we emphasize. Don't emphasise "after". Don't wait for grace. Christ will help us now. The light is not at the end of the tunnel. It is all around us. Don't emphasize "all". Perfectionists do this. If we berate ourselves we drive the spirit away. Any effort is accepted by God because he is more concerned with the offerer that the offering. Don't emphasize "can". What can any of us do without God. He used to tell the youth, "Give Christ an inch and He'll take you a mile." Now he tells them, "Look to Christ and he'll take you an inch and a mile." Don't emphasize "do". Works are important not for what they earn us, but for how they shape us. In the next life Christ will not send anyone away. Some will leave because they have not become the type of people that are comfortable in his presence. The word that we should emphasize is "WE", meaning us and Christ. Together we can be perfected. It is not about us filling the gap, it is about Christ filling us. We don't have to be perfect, we just have to be willing to be perfected.

The next day he spoke of the difference between justification and sanctification. Some ask, "Have you been saved by grace?" when the question should be, "Have you been changed by grace?".

That is just a drop in the bucket. What an amazing experience.

1 comment:

Heather McMullin said...

YAY I found your blog! I will add it to my list! Love you!
Heather

Followers